Monday, May 14, 2012

Apparantly I live in a crack den

We are finally starting to get settled into our new place here in Brooklyn. Sometimes we bumble around, not knowing where to go with so much space. I have friends that moved out of the city to the 'burbs. For the first year they pretty much lived in the kitchen / family room which was the size of their living space in their old place in Brooklyn. It's kind of the same thing. Your body can't figure out where to go and what to do in so much space after living in our little Tribeca box.

Having this much space in relation to my work truly is amazing, however. My office has two huge windows facing the street. I have endless sunshine and breeze at my disposal while I'm attached to my computer.

This street-side view makes for some fascinating eavesdropping. Today I head a group of people walking down the street toward our building. One woman, with one of thicker true Brooklyn accents I've heard was leading a group of out-of-towners (fanny packs and cameras slung around the neck gave them away), giving them a tour of the neighborhood. 

Overheard....

Tourist Woman (stops directly in front of my building and points to the entrance leading the lower level of my apartment): So tell me about these kinds of apartments.

Brooklyn Tour Guide (standing directly below my office window, pointing at my apartment): Well, these kinds of apartments are completely illegal. You remember me telling you about my husband and how he was a crack head? Well, he lived in one of these places for two years with a bunch of other crack heads and the landlord couldn't kick them out because it was an illegal apartment.

Tourist Woman (staring blankly ahead): Oh.

Oh indeed.

I was laughing so loud in the office I was shocked they couldn't hear me from where they were standing. I thought about my baby girl downstairs, curled up in her crib, along side some sordid crack fiends. The lady was clearly a bit hazy about real estate laws in New York City.

I'm starting to feel a bit like an old Brooklyn lady, hanging near the window, waiting for more neighborhood gossip.

No comments:

Post a Comment